Sliced turkey and Brie go well with this sweet and tangy condiment. Also try it on a roast beef and cheese sandwich.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 thyme sprigs
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened to the consistency of maple syrup, 4 to 6 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs and transfer to a bowl. Let cool, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Cover and chill until ready to serve. (Can be made up to 2 weeks ahead. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving.) Makes 1-3/4 cups.
- Calories 20, Total Fat .5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 11 mg, Carbohydrate 4 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 0 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet