This flavorful onion condiment can be used to top rounds of brie for a luxurious appetizer.
- 3 cups (about 13 oz.) pearl onions, peeled*
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large red onions, halved and sliced into thin strips (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Brie cheese wedges (optional)
- In a large skillet cook pearl onions in hot oilover medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion strips, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes more or until mixture thickens and pearl onions are crisp-tender. If desired, spoon onto Brie. Makes 2-1/2 cups.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: To peel onions easily, cook in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice water. Drain. Cut a thin slice off of the blossom end and squeeze from the root end to remove peel. Trim root end. (Should have about 2 cups peeled.) If using onions on burgers, halve each onion lengthwise. For more tender pearl onions, cook 10 minutes before adding the red onions.
- Calories 58, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol q0 mg, Sodium 119 mg, Carbohydrate 8 g, Total Sugar 6 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 1 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 5%, Calcium 1%, Iron 1%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet