This low-calorie recipe for New Orleans' favorite sandwich calls for reduced-fat cheese and lean meats. It's piled high with everything but fat.
- 1 12-ounce Italian flat bread (focaccia)
- Lettuce leaves
- 6 ounces very thinly sliced mesquite smoked turkey breast
- 4 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat salami or sliced, cooked turkey salami
- 5 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup pepperoncini salad peppers or giardiniera (pickled mixed vegetables), drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced canned artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup nonfat Italian salad dressing
- Slice focaccia into two layers. Layer lettuce, turkey, salami, and cheese on bottom half of focaccia.
- Combine pepperoncini or giardiniera, olives, artichoke hearts, and salad dressing in a small bowl; spoon evenly over cheese.
- Place top half of focaccia on top. Wrap securely in plastic wrap and keep refrigerated up to 4 hours until serving. Makes 6 servings.
- Refrigerate pepperoncini mixture, covered, up to 3 days.
- Calories 275, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Sodium 1262 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 21 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 37%, Iron 0%. Exchanges: Starch 2, Lean Meat 2, Fat 1.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet